Friday, June 20, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Entry 16)

Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors, has graciously allowed us access to her diary documenting the journey of Flopsy, also known as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home. The diary will be broken up into short sections and posted. Check back for new entries in the series entitled "From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog". (Previous Journal Entries: Entry One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen, Fourteen, Fifteen)

12/20/07
Maisie is going to be so spoiled! Today, we received a huge packet from Sheryl for Maisie. She sent a brand new coat for Maisie, and it has her name embroidered on it. Sheryl said that Murry has one, too. They will look so cute out on their walks. I am going to help Maisie get used to wearing it. Sheryl also sent her scent items for Maisie; one from Sheryl, one from Murry, and one from Micha. I set up an ex-pen, so Maisie could "spend" some time with them. She was really checking out the articles. Sheryl also sent along the Sherpa that Maisie will be traveling in, back to Boston. We will practice "riding" in it. Maisie also received some cute new toys. Of course, I cried, because it is all feeling so final. I am going to cherish the next couple of weeks with Maisie.

12/26/07
We have traveled up to my brother's house for the holidays. Maisie, of course, was a perfect gem in the truck, during the 5 1/2 hour trip. She was able to meet my nieces and nephews. She was fine, when they were quiet, but didn't like it when there was a lot of commotion. She spent most of her time in the travel trailer with the other pups, where it was peaceful. We have a new mill foster, Bolla, who has attached herself to Maisie. It is so cute to see another one looking to Maisie for comfort. Bolla climbs into the dog bed with Maisie and they nap together. I think it makes Maisie feel stronger, knowing that Bolla needs her.


It won't be long, before Sheryl is here to meet Maisie.

1/3/08 - A Big Piece of My Heart Just Left
I thought I was doing pretty good, until I looked at Maisie's pictures, again. After nearly 9 months in foster care, Rusty/Flopsy, now known as Maisie, has just left to begin her new life with her mom, Sheryl. I feel we are so blessed to have Sheryl as Maisie's new Mom, she is the kindest, gentlest person and was not "put off" by Maisie's inability to show affection. Sheryl would just pick her up and lay her on her lap and gently stroke her, until Maisie would begin to relax. Tony and I were amazed at the connection they were already beginning to make with one another. Sheryl and her friend, Jim (who lives in Phoenix), came yesterday and stayed the night with us. I was able to show Sheryl how to work with Maisie and how to "catch" her, since she won't approach us. I taught her how to walk Maisie, groom her, and put her in the Sherpa for the flight home to Boston tomorrow evening. Again, I am completely blessed with another wonderful adoptive home for one of my foster babies! Thank you matchmaker Holly for helping Maisie find her "pot of gold" at the end of the rainbow!

Maisie's journey has come to an end.


Check back next week for updates from Maisie's Forever Home!

1 comment:

  1. this is a wonderful video! My human and I both sat and cried ... with appreciation and happiness.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!