Saturday, August 9, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Update 7)

We've all followed the journey of Flopsy, also know as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home thanks to her Foster Mom, Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors. (To read Rusty's journey from a pauper to a princess written by her Foster Mom click here.) Rusty started the next chapter of her life in January 2008 when she was adopted by her Forever Mom, Sheryl. Not only did Rusty get her chance at "happily ever after" she also got a new name! Rusty is now known as Maisie and lives with her brothers Murry and Micha. Maisie's story continues thanks to updates from her Forever Mom. (To read previous updates click here.)

July 07, 2008 - Maisie update from her Forever Mom

It's been very interesting watching Maisie negotiate here at home now that there are more humans in the household. Jim was here for 10 days and flew back to Phoenix yesterday. I don't really think Maisie remembered him from her Gotcha Day when he drove me to your house, but she was not very nervous around him. When we went for walks, Jim took Maisie's leash and I had Murry - thought it would be good to have her break the routine a bit. She walked well - she loves her walks - but would look over her shoulder every once in while, casting dark looks, as if she couldn't quite believe that 'HE' was walking her. She did sit between us on the couch to watch TV a few times, and was relaxed enough to nap. She's so funny about some things - as skittish as she can be, when he was mowing the lawn with the very noisy gas mower, she would sit right in the mowing path and not even think about moving - I moved her indoors until he finished.


My mother who is 92 has had some health set backs, so has come to stay with me, and she loves the pups and kitty. Murry has taken up permanent residence next to wherever mom is - I have to 'chase' him out of her bedroom at night. In the change in our schedule, I haven't always remembered to bring Maisie upstairs. (I usually carry her up as the stairs are not carpeted and she doesn't do stairs - or so I thought!) Murry does the stairs, so a few times she found herself "abandoned" downstairs. A couple days of that and she'd had enough - she tried coming up 4-5 steps and then would go down. Now she takes the first 10 steps slowly, and then jet propels herself up the rest. She always seems kind of surprised that she made it up.

You'd think this would be a good thing, but I'm not so sure. She really doesn't like it when I'm out of sight, so if I go upstairs just for a quick trip - put laundry away, get something for mom, etc., Maisie is right there with me. I have to carry her down, as the steps are too slippery for her to navigate on her own. (I'm working on getting them carpeted.) In the meantime, I'm trying to decide if carrying all 17.4 pounds of her down the stairs 10 times a day can be counted as weight lifting?

She's very cautious around my mother. If mom is sitting in a room that she wants to pass through, she gives a couple little false starts - moves forward about 3 feet, and then retreats. Usually on the third try, you can almost hear her saying "I can do this." - and then she puts her head down and runs through the room just as fast as those little Cairn legs will carry her. She's a bit curious about mom, and I've seen her peeking around the corner to check her out. You know what a 'watcher' she is.

Her interdigital cyst is getting better - we're doing Epsom salts soaks 3 times a day. She's not licking it, or fussing with it, so I don't think it's painful or bothersome for her. (We weighed her at the vets last week when I took her in to have the cyst aspirated, and although she's gained 3 pounds since Jan, she's not too heavy - we can still feel her ribs and she has her little girly waist.)


To Be Continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!