Saturday, August 23, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Update 9)

We've all followed the journey of Flopsy, also know as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home thanks to her Foster Mom, Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors. (To read Rusty's journey from a pauper to a princess written by her Foster Mom click here.) Rusty started the next chapter of her life in January 2008 when she was adopted by her Forever Mom, Sheryl. Not only did Rusty get her chance at "happily ever after" she also got a new name! Rusty is now known as Maisie and lives with her brothers Murry and Micha. Maisie's story continues thanks to updates from her Forever Mom. (To read previous updates click here.)

7/17/08 - Maisie update from her Foster Mom

Today, I arrived in Verona, NY for a 3-day Col. Potter fundraising event. One might wonder why I flew clear across the country to attend. Well, one of the biggest reasons was so I could see Maisie again! Sheryl is driving up to NY with Murry, Maisie, and her mother, Cassie. I checked into the hotel and called Sheryl, they were almost at the hotel! I could hardly contain my excitement to see her and Maisie again.

When they arrived, Maisie and Murry were safely contained in their traveling crates. Sheryl and I said our “Hello’s” and I met her charming mother. Then, my attention turned to the backseat of the car. There was my little princess. Would she remember me? After all, it’s been over six months since her adoption. I said her name and she looked right at me! I could see in those eyes, that there was some recognition. Sheryl got checked into her room and a little later, I went to her room to visit. Maisie got into her crate and so I sat on the floor and reached my arm inside to pet her. She didn’t tense up, she seemed to enjoy the pets. The thing that got to me the most were her eyes; they looked so soft. Also, I immediately noticed that she was no longer flicking her head back and forth, looking for an escape. I was amazed at her transformation! Of course, I got teary-eyed, thinking that Maisie is finally accepting being a pet. I was so elated.

7/18-19/08

The next two days were busy at the NY CRAP (Cairn Rescue Awesome Party), but I managed to escape for a little while and spend time with Maisie and Sheryl. It was so wonderful to hold my sweet little girl, again. There were close to 100 Cairns there, and nearly that many people. Maisie was doing so well. She was trotting around the dog yard with the other Cairns. There was a little kiddy pool in the yard that had been turned over, but it didn't stop Maisie from trying to "swim!" She loves the pool!


She and her Cairn brother, Murry seemed to stick close together, so sweet. When it got to be too overwhelming for them, they found a little corner of the yard, with some tall plants and hid in there.

A couple of huge things that I noticed; when Sheryl went to put the leash on Maisie, she actually walked up to her! This is truly a miracle. The other thing, when Sheryl would leave the dog yard, Maisie would look for her. It was so evident the love that Maisie has for Sheryl and vise-versa. Murry and Maisie seem to compliment one another, as they are both so quiet and calm. They like to lay in the same crate together, it is really cute to watch them.


7/20/08

Today was the last day of the event. After brunch, Sheryl had gone inside the house to ask a question and left Maisie in the dog area. I couldn’t believe my eyes, Maisie was trying to climb the stairs on the outside of the staircase, trying to get into the house where Sheryl had gone!


Soon, we said our good-byes and once again, the tears came, but they were tears of happiness for my once terrified puppy mill foster. She truly has found her happily-ever-after. I am so thankful that Sheryl wanted Maisie to be a part of her life and continue to show her what it is like to be loved and not abused in a puppy mill, pumping out puppies for profit. I took some pictures as Sheryl, Maisie, and Murry left the event. You can see Maisie looking to her mom for guidance, just precious.


This concludes the series "From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog". Thank you Karen and Sheryl for allowing us to join Rusty/Maisie on her journey. Happy Forever little one! You definitely deserve it!!

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to read about others who have found a great forever home after years in those awful puppy mills. Thank you for helping.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!