Saturday, March 21, 2009

A New Leash on Life XIV - "On To High Cotton"

Would you like to help provide the funds necessary to rescue puppy mill dogs and possibly win some great prizes? Click the following link to check out the prizes available in our "New Leash on Life" fundraiser: New Leash on Life XIV - On To High Cotton!

Don't delay, take a look today! :) This fundraiser ends Sunday March 22nd!


High Cotton
Written by Karen Parrott, a founding member of Col Potter Cairn Rescue Network:

HIGH COTTON,,, sigh. The words often bring tears to my eyes. For to me they represent all that is GREAT AND GOOD. To me they represent my Granddaddy's hand holding my small one when I was young.

I grew up spending many years off and on with my grandparents, for one reason or another. I was the apple of my Granddaddy's eye. He would take me everywhere with him. We lived in Louisiana, and part of the things that brought money into the family was the cotton. During harvest, huge trucks would be loaded with tons of the fluffy white balls and taken to the cotton mill to be bundled up for selling. I would often get to ride high up on these wagons filled with cotton. But before it was picked by the machines, Granddaddy would walk the fields picking one here and one there to test the quality. And during these walks he would say,,, yep, Scooter,, we have HIGH COTTON this year. Which translated to a child’s mind LOTS OF TOYS FOR CHRISTMAS, LOTS OF SHOPPING WITH GRANNY! Everything in the world was good when you had HIGH COTTON.

As the years went by, High Cotton became my standard of goodness. If I get A's I'll be in High Cotton. If , if, if... ... but always the best to have is HIGH COTTON.

Granddaddy is gone now. He said he would live to see me through college. He did just that. And though I miss him, I have a fine father and love of many friends and I will always have HIGH COTTON -- because it was a gift, you see. A gift to always be able to look to the future for myself and the little furbutts I oversee and see for them a golden life, a good life, a loved life.


Since inception, CP has rescued over 2,300 Cairns!!! We currently have over 100 in foster care, some of whom are available for adoption, many who are not. For each and every one, all members of Col Potter Cairn Rescue Network hope for High Cotton. Like picking cotton, our hopes do not come easy, but the rewards can be so great. Our intakes groups have to decide 'Can we help this dog?' - and sometimes the answer is 'No' - with the knowledge that this decision may be a life or death decision for THAT dog. Our foster homes bring unknown dogs into their homes, disrupting their schedule and their home dogs, only to fall in love with this little stranger - then have to hand it over to someone else - again and again. Our Adoption teams talk to a lot of people hoping they can find that 'Just Right' home for each dog - and the 'Just Right' dog for each home. It can be a hard match to find.

Mill dogs come to us unsocialized, fearing just about everything from the sound of a step, to a bright blue sky, to the dark, to every movement a human being makes. We show them a gentleness to life, a fullness of comfort and love - so that when they find 'their' family, it won't be such a surprise. Many dogs we get in are not healthy, some of whom never make it to a forever home. Every dog we get in learns love.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!