Friday, December 11, 2009

A story about a Transport Coordinator

Written by CP's Transport Director

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to share a story with you all.

Transport Coordinators are the ones who move our cairns from the vet's offices to their foster homes or forever homes. We all spend a LOT of time behind the scenes looking for drivers and mapping out our routes. Each of the coordinators on my team gives so much of their free time to get our dogs moved and I am always so thankful and grateful for the job they do and sigh a big sigh of relief at the end of the week when our kids get to their final destination!

This past weekend, we had some very long transports. We had 4 dogs going from Sullivan, MO, who were on the road for another 12 hour trip going to Sylvan Heights, NY (by Rome, NY), Portland, CT and Hobart NY. Two of the dogs started their journey going from Sullivan, MO to Tulsa, OK and will be heading to Arlington, TX and 3 dogs were moved from GA all the way to Pittsburgh, PA and way up to northern MI to get to their foster homes and on their way to their forever homes.

The legs to fill between GA and Cincinnati, OH were a very long and hard path to plan because we don't have a lot of volunteers in those areas and the ones that we do, the next meeting point could be many hours away. I often tell intakes, "I don't know if we can fill it, we don't have many volunteers". They now laugh at me, because they know I whine for a day and then at the end of the week, the dogs are moved.

Well, the GA coordinator was Paula , new to the team this past year. She has worked hard with Pilots and Paws this past year to try to get them to help us out and does a great job of this. She was assigned the GA transport last week and spent about 10 days looking for drivers. At the 11th hour on Thursday night, we were just about ready to call the transport and try again next weekend, when a new volunteer came forward. I talked to Paula today and said, "where did you find her". She said "I have been on the phone for days and I just started to call around to the vets, humane societies and groomers in the Knoxville area and asking if anyone could help out". She said that the volunteer came very highly recommended and said she could do the leg. I was stunned and amazed, I never would have thought about doing that and I have been doing this for 3 years. I have attached the email that the new volunteer sent back when she was home from her leg. Not only did Paula find a driver to fill a leg, she also probably found a new volunteer for CP and a possible new foster home some day.

So a very special kudos to Paula , for going above and beyond, finding a way to make the transport work and get the kids to their final destination.

I also just want to say thank you to the wonderful volunteers who volunteer every weekend to help us move our cairns. We have many people who will drive long hours (Bill and Pam drove 11 hours this past weekend) all thetime. We are always looking for volunteers along our way, so if you can help out, do let us know!

Our new volunteer's email:

Well, what a fun day - it snowed 2.5 inches here in Knoxville - but it only lasted a few hours - very pretty sight to see first thing in the morning -the drive was great over the mountain and my truck was full of pups! The big Hound rode in the front seat with me, he was a sweetheart - the 6 babies had my big crate all lined with paper and pads and they were good and slept most of the way - the 3 Cairns were just a delight - my first Cairns!

I think I am in love! Styx is soooooo sweet, I almost took him home with me, LOL! I will definitely look forward to more Cairn transports - and in the future would love to be a foster for a few of them - little darlings -

I have to ask...what in the world did those puppies get a bath in??? They smelled like Lavendar powder - I have never smelled such a wonderful scent on a little doggie!!!! I have to know what it was so I can bathe my dogs in it! Thanks Paula for allowing me to help today! and Miss Kim - wow - what a long drive you had this morning - above and beyond - very nice! I really enjoyed talking to Nick, what a nice fellow - and Mary, you lucky lady, you get to play with the babies tonight - Good people ya'll Cairn lovers!!!!

I wish I could have had more time with these little sweetpeas! I have expanded my world today - hahahaha

Be careful all - black ice tomorrow - another successful transport, doggies to rescue!

Note from CP: If you are interested in helping out with transports, becoming a foster home or learning more about volunteer opportunities with Col. Potter, please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!