Monday, May 3, 2010

I am an Animal Rescuer

Written by Annette King- Tucker

My job is to assist God's creatures.
I was born with the need to fulfill their needs.
I take in new family members without plan, thought or selection;
I have bought dog food with my last dime;
I have patted a mangy head with a bare hand;
I have hugged someone vicious and afraid;
I have fallen in love a thousand times; and
I have cried into the fur of a lifeless body.

I have Animal Friends and friends who have animal friends.
I don't often use the word 'pet'.
I notice those lost at the road side and my heart aches.
I will hand raise a field mouse and make friends with a vulture;
I know of no creature unworthy of my time.

I want to live forever if there aren't animals in Heaven.
But I believe there are -
Why would God make something so perfect and leave it behind?

We may be master of the animals,
But the animals have mastered themselves;
Something people still haven't learned.
War and abuse make me hurt for the world,
But a rescue that makes the news gives me hope for mankind.

We are a quiet but determined army and making a difference every day.
There is nothing more necessary than warming an orphan;
nothing more rewarding than saving a life;
no higher recognition than watching them thrive;
there is no greater joy than seeing a baby play who, only days ago,
was too weak to eat.

I am an Animal Rescuer.
My work is never done;
My home is never quiet;
My wallet is always empty;
But my heart is always full.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!