Sunday, May 4, 2014

Valencia Gets Lucky!!!

Written by Jaxi Sue fka CP Valencia

CP Valencia nka Jaxi Sue, a truly Lucky little girl!


Hello there! Jaxi Sue here, though you might remember me as Col. Potter’s Valencia.  Life is good for me now, with a great new Mom and Dad, and a charming big brother, and it’s all thanks to a lot of wonderful people!

See, I came into the vet clinic where my Mom works as a receptionist.  I didn’t know it at the time, but she had only been there for a month when I arrived.  Timing is everything, right?

Well, anyway, some other nice people had found me, lost and alone, wandering around in the streets, and I was very dirty and stinky.  They were so nice, and they took me into their home and gave me a wonderful bath, and I was so very grateful.  I really liked them and they thought that I was very sweet, loving and adorable, so I was hoping I might be “home”. 

While I was hoping, they were worrying.  When I listened very quietly, I heard these nice people say that having two dogs of their own and “medical issues” of their own to deal with, they felt like they could not afford another dog.  I wasn’t sure what all the words meant, but I did understand what not affording “another dog” meant.  Lucky for me, these nice people didn’t want to take me to the Humane Society, so they brought me to their vet (where my New Mom was waiting for me, but didn’t know it yet!) to find out about other options for finding me a new home.

Lucky for me again, the first new person I met was my Mom!  She immediately fell in love with me and wanted to take me home right then and there, but she knew she couldn't do that without asking my future Daddy and the other dog they already had at home.

Lucky again for me, the clinic staff saw that I was a Cairn mix, so the Administrator contacted Col. Potter and sent them a picture, and they agreed right away to make me a Col. Potter dog – Rescued Again!  CP authorized the vet to take care of all my medical needs right away, so I had a “spay” and got “up to date on all my vaccinations”.  I am not really sure what all that means, but it was good for me!  During my examination, the vet determined that I was about a year old and had already previously had a litter of puppies.  I couldn’t explain what that was like, but can you imagine a little girl puppy like me being forced to have more puppies?  I was still just a little baby girl myself!


OK, Mom…  Enough with the cute bows!  I want to play!

Anyway, the next morning, still not having permission yet to bring me home with her, my Future Mom bought me a nice bed and a pink blanket to make me comfortable during my stay, and while I was recovering from my surgery.  That was very sweet of her and it really made me want to go home with her too!

Finally, my Future Mom and Dad agreed that their home would be perfect with two dogs – specifically a 2nd one like Me! – and they quickly contacted Col. Potter to apply to become a Foster Home.  This way, I didn’t have to travel far away to another Foster Home and then worry about getting back to this nice Mom with the pink blanket!  Lucky again for me, they were approved and I was able to go directly Almost Home when I recovered from my surgery.

Jaxi Sue and big brother Wesley



I have to admit, I was a little timid at first, and I’m not completely house trained, so there was a bit of work to do and I had much to learn.  For example, I didn't know what “toys” were at all, and I was scared to pieces whenever one of the “toys” squeaked!  The resident miniature Schaunzer, Wesley, who is 8 years old, was a little intimidating at first, but after a few days I realized he was just a big teddy bear that wanted to play – and he really loved me!  It didn’t take long at all before my Foster Mom and Dad and Foster Brother Wesley became my Forever Family, adopting me Officially after a couple of weeks, and they gave me a New Name:  Jaxi Sue!  They could have named me “Lucky” because I am, but “Jaxi Sue” is a much better name for a pretty little girl like me, don’t you think?



Hey, Wesley!  Look at that!  Let’s go!


Here we are now, one whole month later, and I have settled into my new Home and I have become Best Friends with my big brother Wesley!  It is SO much fun to chase Wesley around – and Mom says it is good for Wesley because he now has a play mate!  Mom says that he is more playful now than he has been in a long time, and that I am like the “energizer bunny” when it comes to playing and running.  I’m not really sure what she means by that, but I can tell you that I never tire of playing and running around, and if I do, a short 10 minute power nap will give me more energy for more play time!!!  Mom and I are still working on house-breaking and the chewing-things parts of life, but I’m sure I will eventually see things her way. 


Jaxi Sue and Wesley take a power nap after a hard morning of play


Mom says that before I came into their lives, they had never heard of Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network, but they are so glad CP exists for all the precious Cairns and Cairn-mixes like me!  There are many wonderful people that they have come into contact with since they applied to Foster and then Adopt me, and Mom says that the whole world needs many more volunteers like the people at Col. Potter who devote their time and effort to rescuing and placing the Cairn and Cairn Terrier mixes in loving Foster and Adoptive Homes.


I love All my new toys now – even the squeaky ones!


Thank you to Everyone who helped me and to all the Volunteers at Col. Potter!!!!




Read my Intake story:





Col. Potter Needs a Few More Lucky Charms! 

Please Volunteer to Foster and help us offer a Good turn of Luck to every Cairn in need!



Please  Consider being a CP Volunteer!



CP Foster Home Application form:




CP Transport Volunteer Driver form:




CPCRN Volunteer form:




Col. Potter’s Name a Rescue Cairn Program















No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!