Sunday, September 18, 2016

Raleigh Dee fka CP Tingler Enjoying Life to the Fullest!



Raleigh Dee relaxing at home after a busy Summer!

When I first read about Tingler, now known as Raleigh Dee, I knew I wanted to adopt her.  There was something about her story that touched me.  I chose her name both because I flew to Raleigh, NC to pick her up, and because it’s Celtic for brave and courageous, which fits her perfectly. 

Raleigh is mostly blind from untreated congenital cataracts.  She was picked up in Delaware as a stray in the bitter winter of December 2013.  How she survived on the streets is a mystery, but this little girl is as determined as they come.  She easily learned her way around my home and yard; if she encounters an obstacle, she simply finds a way around it.  She is fiercely independent and wants to navigate on her own rather than being picked up.  She uses a pet door, jumps in and out of the car, and climbs a few steps to get on my bed in the evening.  She found and used the steps on her own.  For months she slept on a dog bed in the living room when one morning I woke up to find that she had gotten onto the bed to sleep.  
 
Raleigh Dee and Mom escape the heat at the beach
Raleigh has been on trips to the mountains and the shore.  She’s waded on her own into shallow streams and gone camping.  She readily adapts to her situation and her needs are not unlike any other dog.  She loves food and stands up on her back legs for treats.  She’s always willing to roll over for a belly rub. Her medical needs are down to a yearly visit with a veterinary ophthalmologist and drops every other day.  She occasionally plays with toys and tries to chase her brother and sister when they play.  She doesn’t know she’s different from other dogs, and I’m not telling her.
Shaney (CP’s ShyAnne), McKenzie (CP’s Beckett) and Raleigh after hiking to Annie Creek Falls

Raleigh brings joy into my life every day.  I’m grateful that her namesake and Rescue Angel, Marlene Tingler, guided her into the loving arms of Col. Potter.  I hope my experience with this remarkable little girl will encourage others to adopt a less than “perfect” dog (if there is such a thing).  The rewards far outweigh the effort.
 
On a camping trip in the Cascade Mountains – Raleigh is on the left with Shaney (CP’s ShyAnne) in the foreground
Summer is a glorious season in western Oregon.  I hope you enjoy these pictures of Raleigh’s adventures over the past couple of months!

Contributed by Raleigh Dee's Mom, Suzanne
Raleigh Dee and Mom at Newberry Crater in Central Oregon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!