Friday, December 15, 2017

Friday Flashback: Conor Takes the Cake!

Written by Conor fka CP Hubble
Originally posted 5/30/2014 on the Post Adoption Blog

Conor fka CP Hubble has a new Favorite toy!

Well, Hello There!  Conor here, though you probably remember me as CP Hubble – yes the one who hopped over the fence in the deep snow (That was fun! He-he-he-he!) and made my Foster Mom think I got “lost” for a bit.   I knew where I was, so I wasn’t really lost - I just wanted to see what it would be like, living in a different home, that’s all.  Well, I can tell you now: there’s no more fence hopping in my future!  I’ve found the most Perfect Forever Home and the most Wonderful Forever Dad so I’m putting down roots right here!

Conor has had a smile on his face…
…since he first looked into Dad’s eyes!
My Dad and I live near a college campus and we love to go there for walks and to meet all kinds of people - and get fussed over by all the college kids!  I also made friends with the security officers at the college.  They usually come out of their office when they see us walking on their monitors, but if they don’t show up, I go to their office door to see where they are.

Conor and Dad give Day Care a try…
…and it turns out to be Fun!


Dad took me to try out a place called “DayCare” so I could meet and play with some new dog friends.  It was lots of fun!!! We had a game of “Bobbing for Hotdogs”, and we had a birthday party for one of the dogs, and I made good friends with a Beagle!  I made friends pretty easily with other dogs, but they kept reminding me to “curb my excitement” - whatever that means!  Dad liked looking at the pictures they took while I was there, and he said we can go back again every week!  I hope my Beagle friend comes back too!

Dad was very impressed when I showed him my super prey drive and Spiderman skills.  I literally climbed up the bark of an oak tree in pursuit of a squirrel!  Dad had me on the leash so I didn’t get very far, but far enough to show Dad my true Cairnacity!  He had never had a Cairn climb a tree before, so I was glad to give him a good demonstration!

Those Canadian Geese are another story, however. I kept watching them carefully while they were grazing on the athletic fields, and I decided they were making too much of a mess.  The next time there was a large group of geese, I took action!  I used my deep bark and stood on my hind legs and barked at them.  That did the trick!  The geese took off and I felt so full of power!  Of course, when they flew above us, they let loose a fleet-load of goose-poop and I was completely astonished!  I never saw anything like it, falling out of the sky!  Thankfully, none of it hit me, but my Dad wasn’t quite so lucky…  Well, now I start looking for those nasty geese when we walk throughout the campus, and if they are flying above, I stand on my hind legs and give them a piece of my mind!  Dad wears a hat now, just in case…

Conor “flocks” Dad for a Birthday Surprise (note the hat!!)
On Dad’s birthday, I had him "flocked" at 6:30 A.M. when we went out for our walk – Surprise!!  I was pretty sure being greeted by 20 plastic flamingos was better than those old geese!  I even went crazy barking at them, and they did not make a mess.  It was a good surprise – better than cake!

My Dad says that I have a “wonderful personality” and that my behavior is great.  I think he likes that I’m so affectionate and love to sit on his lap while he’s reading or working on the computer.  I’m also very willing to go in my crate and have a little quiet time when Dad is busy.

Of course, Dad isn’t always on the ball…  One morning he had placed his bagel on the kitchen counter when the phone rang and he had to go in a different room to find the portable phone.  When he got back, the bagel was mysteriously gone.  He looked to see if he had put it into the toaster, but it was no where to be found.  Well, later that night, while Dad and I were sitting in the TV room, he noticed that I would disappear for a while and then come back with crumbs around my mouth…  Well, a thorough search revealed pieces of bagel tucked between couch pillows, under Dad’s bed pillow, in the back of my crate, and a few other strategic locations…  For some reason, Dad doesn’t leave food on the kitchen counter anymore when I’m around!

Dad hosted a big gathering over Easter with family and friends, and he worried about me being a bit overwhelmed, but it all worked out!  I went from person to person and jumped to give them kisses, and once I jumped into one person’s lap and sat with him for awhile.  I showed Dad that I was really a good boy!  There was that one time when I really wanted to take the stuffed bunny from that three year old, but I traded it pretty quickly for some new toys of my own.  Even when the three year old kept trying to pick me up (and then drop me!), I was very good and just figured out how to avoid her.  After everyone left, we were happy to get back into our routine!  We took our walk then I just jumped up on Dad’s lap and we both fell asleep in the recliner - A perfect way to end the day!

Thank you to all of the great Volunteers at Col. Potter who gave me a chance to be Happy Forever with the Greatest Dad in the World!


Read my CP Intake Story:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!