Thursday, August 9, 2018

Thursday training tips: It's all in the voice


Training should be a positive experience… If you are not getting the results you want, especially when you begin training, it is probably because the dog is confused rather than because he has decided to ignore or defy you. Always assume at first that the dog does not understand, and help him learn. Even when you are certain that the dog does understand and is making the decision not to obey, your attitude should calmly convey to him: ‘Perhaps you didn’t understand me, but that was a command and not a request. Let me help you.’ Then, when it does as you ask, praise the dog lavishly, reward and play with him and go on to something else. 
 -- Daphne S. Gentry, The New West Highland White Terrier

I know people's hearts are in the right place when they thank me for adopting a “special needs” dog, but really, as so many others in a similar situation can attest, no thanks are necessary. The pleasure is truly all mine. Peaches may have a severe heart defect, and her energy may not come close to what we usually see in a Westie puppy, but her love of life inspires me every day.

Just as we all have to discover the activities that best suit the temperament of our individual dogs, I’ve been spending our first couple of weeks trying to find the activities that will fulfill Peaches’ natural terrier spunk without overtaxing her heart. Fortunately, she is such a gentle explorer of backyard shrubbery that "go to ground" would be absolutely foreign to her.

"Be very afraid, I am the great white hunter!"
One of our biggest challenges is with an everyday activity: a walk. Peaches and I tried to take a walk down the block – she is so good on a leash! – but she asked to be picked up and carried after going a couple hundred feet. Peaches’ heart is not being fair to her nose, which wants to smell all the “richness” that a typical suburban neighborhood can offer. So, we found a solution. Her very own custom-decorated buggy.

Peaches loves to see and smell the neighborhood from the convenience of her buggy.
I thought I’d have to slowly condition Peaches to accept her buggy, to sit still, to not jump out as we stroll down the boulevard. Well. Peaches loves it! I think there are two reasons for that. First, this little girl has the normal terrier courage and curiosity, and the buggy is a new and fun experience; second, I used a happy voice in a high pitch when I introduced her to the buggy. Most dogs have a positive response to the high pitches and happy voices of their owners, as CPCRN Foster Director Sandy Tiller recently reminded me.

A note from Sandy:

Have you ever read The Other End of the Leash by Pat McConnell? I am reading it now. One of the things she talks about is our tone and how we say words to our dogs. She suggested that you use short, crisp words or sounds (smooches, clicks, “come, come” in a high voice) to get a dog to come to you or follow a direction and to use elongated words like "noooooooo" in a low deep voice when you want them to stop doing something. 
Well, I had to try it with my little mix, Monty, to see if he responded – and I’ll be darned if it doesn't work! When I want him to come, I now say "come, come" in a high voice and clap my hands. He instantly runs to me! He used to meander and take his time coming – not anymore. He was barking at a deer he could see through the chain link fence and I just said, "Montyyyyyyyyy noooooooooooo" in a lower tone and really drew the words out and I’ll be darned if he didn't stop and turn and look at me.
Monty recognizes the tones of Sandy's voice
I am really enjoying McConnell’s book. Now I just need to remember: short, quick words to get Monty to do something, and long, drawn-out words to get him to stop!
This great tip – with the proper nuance adjusted for your dog – came in handy today, when I was walking a neighbor’s collie, a wonderful and smart dog who loves children. We saw a mom and her toddlers walking towards us. I could see that the mom was uncomfortable with the possibility of meeting a strange dog, so we crossed the street to walk on the other side. Even from across the street, the collie was so happy to see the children that she started jumping in delight, putting the mom in high alert. I tried to calm the collie down with my high-pitched happy voice. “No, no sweetheart, let’s be good!” WRONG. The words weren’t making sense to her (what does “let’s be good” mean to a dog???) and the tone of my voice told her that I was joining in her fun. I lowered my pitch a bit and gave a command she understood. “Lassie, COME!” She stopped jumping, and she came to my side and looked up at me as if to say, “lady, all you have to do is ask.”

What do you think? Have you observed this with your dog? Please feel free to add your thoughts to the comment section, below.

3 comments:

  1. Great reminder Dawn! Just last night I was having dinner with a friend on the back deck and Logan started barking. She asked what he was barking about and I said must be a cat. It was. I can tell immediately what they are barking at by the different tone, bark repetition etc. so it makes so much sense how our vocalizations are interpreted by them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my Cairn's is a barker. He will step out of the house in the morning and greet the world and bark for no apparent reason. He positions himself in front of the floor level bow windows and bark in the house as neighbors are walking by with their dogs. He will bark when I say the word "out" or when it's feeding time. My response has always been a sharp NO and he thinks I'm joining in. I'm going to try elongating it and lowering my voice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Janeen, I'd be pleasantly surprised if changing the voice helps with discouraging barking. There are books and articles and training workshops -- not to mention nasty training "aids" -- to stop barking. I'll cover some of the suggestions in a future post.

      Delete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!