Thursday, December 11, 2008

Jaymee Gave Me an Early Present!

Written by Jaymee's Foster Mom

My foster Jaymee is my first puppy mill mama. The first three fosters were male owner surrenders and a runaway. I thought "I give her love and get love back" - no problem ... Yeah sure.

Little Lady was terrified, released in 2007 - fostered and adopted and returned. What was I thinking? She could run, duck and scamper like nobody's business. I could only get near her on my butt - yeah I said butt. I had to sit on the floor and slowly inch my way near her or crawl slowly. No standing. She drug a leash for months - hung from the deck on the harness twice! A couple of crying phone calls to Sydney and panic emails to Kathy...we hung in there. Very little contact. Someone taught her to wave a paw when she wanted petted. That helped.

Slowly just following the gang she caught on to the routine, follows well and knows directions. But still dutiful little life, no spark and no fun.

Occasionally when I was playing with the others her paw would come up and she would let me pet her. Then last month I noticed she would sit by my gang and wave her paw, then I noticed toys piling up in her crate. She was a borrower.

When I would play with my guys I would hear noises from her in the other room. What a surprise to them and me - when she started running up the stairs - snatching the play toy and running downstairs.

Then Thanksgiving morning - I saw her roll and play with a toy in the living room. Later that day she alerted me when someone drove up to the neighbors - tail up, ears up and prancing and barking!

She knows the treat routine and waits her turn. Early this Monday morning she joined in the morning workout of chasing balls up and down the hall - full of enthusiasm and being considerate of others too! (She just won't bring it to me!)

This morning she stood up and put her paws on my knee - waiting for her cheerios! And then STAYED UP to get an EAR SCRATCH! VICTORY!

Six months to the week - we have breakthroughs! Still have some scampering away - but I just keep heading in my direction and ignore her and she scampers less each time. In fact when I don't look at her, she is on my heels, when I turn to talk she scampers - just not as far! Two months ago I was almost ready to throw in the towel and give up, But the last weeks are a miracle and a blessing.

Potty training is another thing, she keeps a clean crate, and potties in the same spot, but I can't put panties on her - since I can't catch her, and she politely avoids soiling the puppy pads. She is also very camera shy! I'm trying - just have a lot of pictures of her backside.

I have renewed hope! Just wanted to share my joy with you!

The Inner Puppy is coming out in Ms. Jaymee Beth!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!