Sunday, July 11, 2010

Saving Senior Dogs

Contributed by a CP Volunteer
Author Unknown

One by one they pass my cage,
A big old dog, arthritic with age,
Way past his prime, can’t run and can’t play.
They shake their heads slowly and go on their way.

I once had a home, I once had a bed,
A place that was warm and where I was fed.
Now my muzzle is gray, and my eyes slowly fail.
Who wants a dog so old and so frail?

My family decided I didn’t belong.
I got in their way, my attitude was wrong.
Whatever excuse they made in their head,
Can’t justify how they left me for dead.

When I had come to the end of my rope,
You looked at my face, and I finally had hope,
And felt I still had life beyond this cage.

You took me home, gave me food and a bed,
And shared your own pillow, with my poor tired head,
We snuggle and play, and you talk to me low.
You love me so dearly, you want me to know.

I may be with you for a week or for years,
We will share many smiles, you will no doubt shed tears.
And when the time comes that God deems I must leave,
I know you will cry and your heart, it will grieve.

And when I arrive at the Bridge, all brand new,
My thoughts and my heart will still be with you.
And then I will brag to all who will hear,
Of the person who made my last days so dear.


Note from Col. Potter Blogger: Col. Potter rescues and places many senior dogs. Please go to our website to learn more about the many cairns that we have available for adoption. This blogger has personally adopted 3 cairns considered senior in age from CP and they have all been wonderful, loving additions to our household. Please consider opening your home and heart to a senior cairn - you won't have to run quite as fast to keep up with them!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!