Saturday, April 23, 2011

Five Dangerous Easter Plants

Posted by DogToys.com


Here is a short list of plants that you see this time of year that are toxic to both dogs and cats







Easter Lily (ALL Lilies)While Easter Lilies are not toxic to dogs they are highly toxic to cats and can cause immediate kidney failure with only one leaf eaten. Other lilies such as the Calla Lily and the Day Lily are toxic to dogs. Symptoms include vomiting, lethargy, excessive drinking and urination.




HyacinthThis flower is part of the lily family and can be highly poisonous. Symptoms include: Intense vomiting, diarrhea (occasionally with blood), depression and tremors.













Daffodil The bulb of this flower is the most dangerous part, but any part of the plant can cause sever problems. Symptoms of ingestion are vomiting, salvation, and diarrhea. If a large amount is eaten it can cause convulsions, low blood pressure, tremors and cardiac arrhythmias.





TulipAgain this flower is in the same family as the lily and like the Daffodil the bulb has the highest amounts of toxins. Symptoms to watch for are vomiting, depression, diarrhea, and extreme or hypersalivation.






Easter RoseThis plant is also known as Hellebore, Christmas Rose, or Lenten Rose. It is not a rose at all rather a bushy stalk with pinkish white flowers. Symptoms of ingestion are drooling, abdominal pain, diarrhea, colic, and depression.



Please be sure to place these plants in a safe spot where your pets cannot get to them.

No comments: