Saturday, April 25, 2015

Learn to Walk a Reactive Dog!

Yes!  Even a reactive little Cairn boy can learn to be calm and attentive on a walk!
This is a wonderful video by Zak George which demonstrates how to work with a highly reactive dog, using the "Look at me!" and "Get out of Dodge!" positive training methods.  There is a spot of advertising by his sponsor, but it it worth waiting the minute to see this really helpful video.  Obviously, the dog is not a Cairn and we recommend only using a lead attached to a secure harness, not a lead attached to a collar, but everything else he demonstrates applies perfectly.


Walking your dog can be fun!



2 comments:

  1. Charley, my Russel/Schnauzer cross realllly needs this... or err, well I need it.... he pulls like a Malamute and is reactive to other dogs, esp. Chihuahuas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Cairn, Folly,has a panic attack if I take her past the end of the driveway- she is so scared she doesn't respond to anything...how can I get her to enjoy walking?

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!