Thursday, September 27, 2018

Thursday training tips: Planning for sick days and beyond

Do our dogs know when we are sick? I had some surgery last week, and my dogs behaved like angels while I was recovering at home. No barking to demand walks, no in-and-out to the backyard, no roughhousing… Each one of them (I have five) gave me gentle nudges, kisses, or cuddles. I swear, they took turns lying quietly by my bed, giving me comfort.

"I'll just play quietly while you rest, okay?"

I’ve read articles with various theories on how dogs read our health and our emotions, but I’d love to see some scientific research on it. In the meantime, though, I love my dogs even more for their sensitivity to my recovery. (Of course, now that I’m substantially recovered, their goofball antics have resumed.)

Even though my surgical procedure is a fairly common one, I couldn’t help but worry just a bit. On top of the quiet fear that something could go wrong, those of us with dogs are concerned about them. What will happen to them if I need to spend a couple of days in the hospital? What would happen if something more dire occurred?

You never know when you are going to have a medical emergency, so it’s good to be prepared ahead of time, as much as possible. Let’s start with the easy stuff…

My surgery was in and out at my local hospital, and they told me I’d be able to leave by 5 p.m. That would give me enough time to give my dogs their evening meal, but I knew I’d be taking pain killers. With dogs ranging from nine months old to 12 years old, and with various allergies and preferences, the meals can be a little complicated – and certainly beyond my capability at the moment. So I prepared their dinners ahead of time, put name tags on each bowl, and stored them in the fridge. I also made sure that their medications and supplements were included in the appropriate bowls. Then, knowing I might want to sleep in the next morning, I did the same for their breakfast.

Now, who was going to feed them and make sure they had access to the backyard? One of my collies (5-year-old Rosie) does not like strangers in the house, so I called on friends who had already developed a friendship with her. Fortunately, I have GREAT friends who came by during those first hours and days and helped me with the dogs.

What would have happened if the surgery didn’t go well? Or if I was hit by a bus walking to my car? What would have happened to my dogs?

Everyone should have an advance directive for your own medical decisions, and you should also have an advance plan for your dogs. Petfinder has an excellent information sheet that will help you plan for your dog’s future without you. The site explains the pros and cons of using a will, a trust, or power of attorney, as well as other vital considerations.

And finally, for your very long-term planning, remember the words of Will Rogers:
“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
❤❤❤ 

1 comment:

  1. A great wake-up call. There are cards to keep in one’s wallet that states that you have dogs home alone. Better yet, and I don’t know if the information is asked for because I don’t have one; a contact number of a trusted friend, relative, or neighbor.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!