Thursday, July 2, 2020

Thursday Tips/Training!


My introduction to dog training.

My introduction to dogs and the world of training began at a very young age. You never know what your life's passion will be, and this became mine. Today I want to share this journey from the very beginning. Some people have little or no recollection of their childhood years. I remember these days from so long ago like they just happened yesterday. I can remember the sights, sounds, smells, and feelings of individual moments, both good and bad.

My friendship with Elaine began in second grade. We lived blocks apart and became fast friends in elementary school. Elaine was a bit more daring than me, but we both shared a love of animals. Back in the twentieth century (or was it the nineteenth?!) mothers stayed home and raised the kids, and fathers worked to support the family. Elaine's case was very unique because she had a single Mom who was raising three girls, so it was necessary for her to work. Elaine would come to my house each day for lunch. One day, for whatever reason, Elaine's Mom surprised her with a puppy. We were both SO excited. She named the puppy Gidget. Yes, after the Sally Field “Gidget” that was popular then. What kind of dog was Gidget? We would guess, but to this day I do not have a clue. We thought she might have whippet in her because she was sleek and fast. But she was not as tall and small-boned as a whippet. Gidget was a brindle, short-coated so her striping was obvious. She had a black pointed muzzle and prick ears. Unusual looking pup.

We were outside playing all the time. No internet then. I am glad to have grown up in this era. Wherever we went, Gidget came along. She was our constant sidekick. During our long walks, talks, and games, Gidget was always at our side. She was zero maintenance, and one of the most brilliant dogs I have known. I honestly do not remember Elaine having routine training sessions with her dog, but learn Gidget did. I would swear she could speak English. In no time at all she knew so many commands and would respond to words, even in conversations. This learning process just seemed to evolve rather than to be deliberate. At seven and eight years old we were not wildly impressed by all that Gidget knew, but we surely should have been. Gidget would do anything that Elaine asked of her. If Gidget did not understand how to execute a behavior she would give it her all until she succeeded in order to please Elaine. Gidget's loyalty to Elaine was intense, and I loved Gidget very much as well. Although I did not live with Gidget, we spent many, many long days together.
In these days churches were always open, so Elaine and I snuck Gidget into church one day to baptize her. We even gave her a middle name “Gidget Bridget.”

I remember they were having a local “tricks” contest. I was unable to attend, but Elaine entered Gidget in the contest and of course she won “paws down!” I was so very proud, but certainly not surprised. I cannot remember what tricks Gidget performed on that day, she had such a repertoire. There was one experience that I can painfully recall that happened on a cool fall day. I have no idea why Gidget was not on lead. I absolutely cannot remember. She listened very well, but suddenly she was out in the street with an oncoming car, and the car struck her. I remember Gidget yelping, Elaine screaming. She was a block away from home, and she picked up Gidget carrying her home, wailing. Her white sweater was bloody. I ran home, horrified. Later that day Elaine's Mom called to let me know that Gidget had survived and would recover. Stupid kids, we were. A perfect example of how things could go wrong so quickly. Gidget's midsection was bandaged, and we carefully rehabilitated her on our walks.

I remember when Elaine and I wormed Gidget on her enclosed back porch. Isn't that a crazy memory? And when Elaine decided to eat a dog biscuit. We laughed and laughed. I was not so brave as to try it. So many wonderful memories and fun, fun times spent with Elaine and her wonderful dog Gidget, who turned me on to the world of dog training and the resulting strong bond and communication it opens up between you and your dog. When we went to high school Elaine and I drifted apart. Gidget lived to a ripe old age. Years later I remember going to Elaine's house and seeing Gidget. Her muzzle was grey, and she was moving slower. But she still brought me her ball so I would toss it. I loved you and will always remember you Gidget, the smartest dog ever. Elaine Potichko (don't know your married name), if you are reading this I hope it will make you break out in a big smile as it has done for me.

As a young adult I acquired my first Cairn Terrier Casey. We began our journey together of training and dog showing. My friend Cheryl Javer (may she rest in peace) was my mentor, and she guided and encouraged me into this exciting world, and I continue to walk the merry path to this day so many years later. As a young adult I was always prone to extreme enthusiasm about whatever my current passion was, only to lose interest in a short time. When I got Casey my brother Ed said to my Mom “I wonder how long this phase will last?!” My sister and I still laugh about this. I have since had Toby, Whitney, Ty, and now Smudge, Swayze, and Rue. I am older and physically slower, and puppies are surely a challenge! I am outnumbered and often outwitted, but I continue to enjoy the challenge, the trials and tribulations, and certainly the joy and loyalty. Back to housebreaking! Swayze was the easiest puppy I had to housebreak. Rue is the typically distracted, “oops” kinda guy.

<Butterscotch, my sister's mini horse, recently passed away. She was a lovely butterscotch color with a flaxen mane and tail. I saw her on that Saturday. As I passed the field while traveling up the driveway, I called her name, she picked up her head and both ears came up. I had no idea it was the last time I would see her. She was gone on Monday. I mourn the loss of my little equine friend, small in stature but big in spirit. Hope there are lots of carrots where you are.>

Dog bless, Judy Endo
judyendo@outlook.com

First Published in the Citizens' Voice on Saturday, April 20, 2019.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!