Thursday, July 9, 2020

Thursday Training/Tips

Casey's Journey

You think it is challenging to train a Cairn Terrier?  You bet it is!  Terriers are very intelligent but can become quickly bored.  They are loyal but also independent.  This is what I love about the breed.  And Cairns are just so darned cute I never could figure out how we could not get extra points in the ring just for that!

My first Cairn Terrier Casey was also my first dog.  I was a young adult, and Casey was the typical puppy – not housebroken, destructive, etc.  I contacted a trainer from a newspaper ad with the goal of just getting this little guy to listen!  When I began private training classes it all just seemed overwhelming.  So many instructions and assignments that I kept messing up!  I felt very inadequate, discouraged, and frustrated.  I only wanted this puppy to listen!  Training was much more work for me than I had anticipated.

My trainer Cheryl and I became good friends, and she began to drag me to dog shows to help her handle her many dogs (13 beagles, one standard poodle, and one chihuahua!).  She did not show them all at the same time, but even two can be very challenging to handle, especially if there is a conflict and you are scheduled to be in two rings at the same time!

Cheryl kept encouraging me to show Casey in obedience.  There was no way I could even consider such a scary venture, and I thought I had no desire to do that.  But Cheryl was very forceful and never acknowledged my hesitance and lack of confidence.

Suddenly I was entered in my first obedience trial with Casey.  Cheryl was at ringside to cheer me on.  It was a very cool and overcast day.  This kind of weather made my very hyperactive and distracted little dog even more energetic!  Outside of the ring Case was pulling, wild, excited, and not paying any attention to my very presence.

I entered the ring and try to do the heel on lead exercise.  Casey had a constantly tight lead (points off), nose to the ground (points off) and did not sit when I stopped (more points off).  Now in this particular class I also had to heel OFF lead.  This was not looking good, I thought.  Oh, I forgot to mention that our judge on this day was a very senior, stern-looking woman who did not smile.  I took off Casey's leash and began my heeling pattern.  Casey took off, following me at a distance, stopping frequently to lift his leg merrily on the gates surrounding the ring (disqualification)!

Then it was time to do the stand for examination.  The dog must stand and stay while the judge touches their head, shoulders, and back.  This senior judge was creeping up to Casey like he was going to explode and do who-knows-what to her!  Casey did successfully complete this one exercise.  He had an “oh yeah, I am supposed to do this” moment.

The judge walked over to me, and I remember her exact words like it was yesterday.  She said “Honey, not all dogs are cut out to do obedience.  Just take him home and love him.”

I traveled the two hours home sobbing the entire way.  My heart was broken.  I was so disappointed, embarrassed, and feeling like a total failure.  After I was home for awhile, deeply contemplating the events of that day, I got mad!  And I thought “How dare that judge insult my dog!!”

I continued my training regime, diligently and consistently.  I knew that Casey was very smart and capable, and my goal was to prove this by earning an obedience title.  In obedience you must qualify three times under different judges to achieve a title.  I entered competitions again, still scared and nervous, but determined to reach our goal.  As for Casey, he was having fun along with attaining better focus and executing desired behaviors more accurately.  We competed and qualified in two shows, one to go to get that title!

On the day of this trial it was a summer day, very hot and humid.  We were scheduled to be in the ring mid-day.  Dogs were going into the ring and not performing.  One black lab opted to lie under the judge's table rather than walk around the ring.  Now, this is not dog abuse!  Their time in the ring is actually brief and manageable.  But the majority of dogs were not having it.  However, this hot weather was actually a positive force for my hyper little dog.  We went into the ring, and Casey obediently walked at my side and completed each exercise with calm and deliberate precision.  And on this day Casey and I reached our goal of getting our obedience title.  But, wait for it, we also got first place in the division!!  This was one of the proudest moments of my life, and I have the picture with pride all over my face, and Casey's face as well.

And this is how I got hooked on doing performance sports.  It became my lifetime passion.  I can attribute this to my friend and mentor Cheryl, who would not take no for an answer.  And the judge who told me to go home and forget competition.  At such a low moment in my life I achieved the courage and strength to carry on, and succeed!

Dog showing is not for everyone.  But the time that you spend with your friend and companion is invaluable.  Cheryl always told me that when you step into the ring to always remember that you are representing the breed, and for this reason when I enter  the ring I am always wearing a big smile.  Because, as we all know, Cairn Terriers Rock!

RIP Cheryl Javer.  I am forever grateful to you.

Dog bless, Judy Endo

judyendo@outlook.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!