Thursday, October 15, 2020

Dog Pack Dynamics

Dog Pack Dynamics

When you have multiple dogs you will always have dynamics within your pack.  Much of the time your dogs will work things out amicably.

As a long-time dog trainer and dog owner, I have always been observant of my dogs' interaction.  I have always been pretty confident about my knowledge, until recently.

When I had my female Cairn Terrier Whitney, she was the alpha in the pack, paws down.  My male Cairn Terrier Smudge and male Australian Shepherd Ty always respected her and maintained their passive positions.  Ty would be at the water bowl drinking, and Whitney would walk out and bark loudly into his face.  Ty would immediately back up and allow the princess to drink, with no opposition.  However, one time I had company.  Both Smudge and Whitney were vying for the attention of my guest.  Energy was high, and they suddenly began to battle.  I stupidly reached in (NEVER try this at home) at got a very bad bite of my forearm.  It was not intentional, I simply got in the way of two frantic dogs.  Neither dog was hurt although I required treatment.

My pack now consists of Cairn Terrier Smudge, 11 y.o., Cairn Terrier Swayze, 2 y.o., and Border Colliemix Rue, 1 y.o.  Although the senior of the pack, Smudge has remained the alpha, and both much younger boys have respected his status.

Smudge can be very bossy with his younger brothers, and he enjoys intimidation.  Although Rue is much younger, larger, and faster than his older brother, Rue will not cross him.  Smudge will go to the bottom of the ramp, bouncing and barking at Rue, who is standing at the top.  I must go out and removeSmudge before Rue will make his way down the ramp.  

Rue always comes in out of the yard when called.  But Swayze has the habit of running along the fence, always on guard for critters on the other side, and will ignore my calls.  Smudge always feels compelled to assist me in getting Swayze inside.  He will charge at Swayze, excitedly barking and nipping at his butt.  Swayze will submissively roll over or cower against the fence, finally dashing into the house ahead of charging Smudge.

I have allowed this behavior to continue because I wanted Smudge to be alpha.  Looking back, I never considered Swayze's feelings in all of this.  By nature Swayze is a very sweet and submissive little guy, always bullied by his older and younger brother.  

One early morning a week ago I called Swayze to come in.  Typically he ignored my calls, and Smudge went tearing across the yard to herd him inside.  Suddenly Swayze abruptly turned and went after Smudge in a full-blown attack.  Swayze grabbed Smudge by the neck.  Not fighting back, Smudge was desperately trying to escape while screaming.  I was hysterically running across the yard shouting “NO!!”  I could not believe what I was seeing.  I would have bet my life that Swayze would never behave in such a way, that he did not have it in him.

When I reached them Swayze had Smudge pinned  and was holding onto his neck. Smudge continued to struggle and scream while Rue hopped around excitedly at my side.  I gave Rue one poke, and he backed away.  Thankfully at 1 y.o., Rue still has a puppy brain, and he did not engage in the melee.  In the zone, Swayze did not even realize that I was standing over them.  I kicked at his hindquarters and successfully got Swayze off Smudge.

I was obviously very shaken after this incident, and very angry at Swayze.  I closely examined Smudge and did not find any holes in him.  I was shaky all day and very disappointed that this event had occurred.  I never saw it coming.

The dog trainer in me knew exactly what happened, and why.  At 2 y.o. Swayze had reached full maturity.  After many, many episodes of bullying from his brother, Swayze had to take matters into his own paws to defend himself.  His intention was obviously not to hurt Smudge, but rather to gain respect and status within the pack.

After the incident I talked to my good friend, a canine behaviorist.  She validated what I knew already.  She stated that Swayze was the same sweet boy I knew and loved.  But he had tolerated Smudge's bullying for a very long time, and everybody has their breaking point.  Swayze had reached his.  My friend agreed that Swayze could easily have injured Smudge if that was his intention.  The most powerful words she said to me was that I never had Swayze's back, which was absolutely true.

In hindsight I realized that I could have allowed Smudge to maintain some dominance, with restrictions.  The dogs had to know I was ultimately in charge and controlled the situation.  I allowed Swayze to feel helpless, no longer safe and secure.  And I empowered Smudge's behavior.

I began taking Smudge outside on lead while his two younger brothers were loose.  They would potty, and play, while Smudge was happy to observe.  Interestingly enough, I discovered that Swayze would come in right behind me when exiting the yard.  All of this time I thought that Swayze was being disobedient when he would not come to me when called, when in fact I now believe he was in avoidance, anticipating the charge and attack from Smudge.

Both dogs are fine and getting along as normal.  I am a little wiser.  We often think we know our dogs very well, and we tend to humanize them. But the primal genetics are still present, as in Swayze no longer being low status within his pack.  Never say never.  Be diligent about your dogs' interactions and act accordingly.  Accidents can happen, as in my case, but they can be avoided through education and insight.

Dog bless, Judy Endo

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!