Sunday, April 13, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Entry 6)

Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors, has graciously allowed us access to her diary documenting the journey of Flopsy, also known as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home. The diary will be broken up into short sections and posted. Check back for new entries in the series entitled "From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog". (Previous Journal Entries: Entry One, Two, Three, Four, Five)

5/4/07
A Glimmer of Hope! This afternoon, Tony called me at work to tell me that Rusty ZOOMED for about 20 feet, twice!! He said it was quick, but for a minute, she wasn’t pacing, but ZOOMING! When I got home from work, I went outside for a while with the dogs, no zoomies for me. When we returned home from dinner/shopping, I took everyone outside for a quick potty. I saw her zoom!! One more tiny step in the right direction. This evening, I was telling Tony that Rusty is going to learn to trust us and then she will have to start all over, when she is adopted. At least I know Rusty will not be nearly as terrified as she was when she first arrived with us.

Rusty is going to need a very patient and understanding adoptive home. I will need to ask them if they are willing to give her lots of time and work with her on gaining her trust. A person who expects instant gratification, will not be the right one for Rusty. Also, a person who expects Rusty to act like a “normal” Cairn, will be disappointed. Rusty needs someone with a true “rescue spirit,” not someone who just wants to adopt a Cairn. If I let Rusty go to a home with high expectations, I will have failed her, as a foster mom. I am on the side of my foster kids and know them better than anyone else, therefore I know what’s best for them.

I only wished every adoptive home was like me and could accept these little mill kids for who they are and not forget where they came from. Years of suffering and neglect cannot be erased in a matter of months and it will not disappear all together. I think that is what makes my mill babies special to me.


5/5/07
I am noticing that Rusty is keying into our fur kids’ behaviors more and more. This afternoon, while I was laying on the grass, Rusty went over to where Starry was, wagged her tail at Starry, then proceeded to watch what Star was doing. She was eating grass, so Rusty decided to give it a try, too!

When all of the girls were peeing on top of each others’ pee, in the grass, Rusty joined in and did the same.

When I was giving the kids some egg today, Rusty kept peeking around the kitchen island. She wants so badly to join in, but the poor little thing is so emotionally torn on whether to trust or not.

5/6/07
Boy, does this girl love to take rides! This evening, we went to get an ice cream cone and took the dogs with us. Rusty likes to look out the window, watching the world go by. Her favorite spot is next to the door. She just seems to forget about all of her worries, when she is in the truck.

Day-by-day, Rusty is getting easier to catch. We don’t have to play tag nearly as long as we did in the beginning.

Rusty still doesn’t like to be left in her crate, when I leave the bedroom. She makes sure her protest is loud and clear.

I truly believe that Rusty is going to be ready for adoption much sooner than I originally thought. Especially, if the right home comes along for her. This morning, when Tony was called into work, I put britches on the girls and let them into the carpeted living area with me, while I watched a movie. Today was the first time Rusty relaxed in the L.R. and laid down on the large dog bed in front of the hearth. I couldn’t believe it, she was actually relaxing! We have done this before, but she paced in and out of the L.R. the entire time I was in there. Now, Rusty would still jump up and run away, if I made any movements. However, she would return to her spot and lay down again. She really wants to be a part of the group, but fear and lack of trust, continue to pull her away.

To Be Continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!