Sunday, July 6, 2008

Do You Remember Miracle? (Entry Four)

Some Col. Potter cairns develop their own "fan club" and such is the case with Miracle. For the next few days we'll be posting his story - how he came into Col. Potter, his surgery, life with his Foster Mom and "nurse" and a wonderful update from his Forever Home. Do you remember Miracle? (To read previous entries click here.)

The following post was written July 7, 2006 by Miracle's Foster Mom:

Miracle is getting more and more active every day. He is walking on four legs about 90% of the time. Most of the time, when he first wakes up from his nap, he limps a little on his bad leg, almost as if it is a little stiff. But by the time he has been up and about for a while he is doing fine.

His wound is completely closed with no discharge at all. His coat is growing back nice and coarse, just like it should be.

He is very good about his crate. When we tell everyone it’s bedtime he runs and gets into his crate right away. He stands in the crate waiting for his good night cookie. As soon as he has it he flops down ready for the night. When we go to let them out in the morning Miracle is usually on his back dreaming his Cairn dreams and his crate is always clean and dry.

Miracle is a sweet little dog. He loves scritches, tummy tickles and ear rubs. He gives the softest kisses and just folds himself into my arms for quiet Cairn cuddles.

As Miracle gets better and better in every day and in every way he finds more and more of his inner Cairn.

Today for example, Kenneth was working on the computer so I decided to give in to temptation and take a little nap. I was woken up by Tia who was nudging me with her nose. So I rolled over and she and I were having a Mommy and Cairn cuddle. Then I heard a little cry … a kind of a squeak, a noise I could not quite identify ... I sat up and looked around my bedroom. Who do you suppose was standing on top of my dresser? Right in among the cans of hairspray, body lotion and talcum powder was a small blond "handicapped" dog.

I went over and lifted him down and explained that he was a dog, not a dresser ornament. Tia, Miracle and I went to find the rest of the gang. I told Kenneth about Mr. M's adventure in the bedroom. "Well," said Kenneth, "I think you better go and look at the living room window". "The window" I repeated? "Right, it seems that the pictures and plants needed rearranging ... I will give three guesses who did it, and the first two don't count" said my husband.

Our living room window is a bay, standing at mid chest height, with a large sill. And sure enough, when I went and looked, everything was rearranged. So please don't be fooled into thinking that this poor handicapped little dog lets his "bad" leg slow him down a whit.

He is about 3 years old and he is a real Cairn boy. He steals … shoes, laundry, and other dog’s toys ... things happen when he is around. Waste baskets and kitchen garbage cans magically fall over. Toilet paper unrolls itself ... magazines and newspapers left neatly on the coffee table fall on the floor. Plants and pictures on window sills rearrange themselves. The world is his to explore and he does his exploring at a run. Yesterday he zoomed ... just for the love of zooming.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!