Saturday, July 5, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Update 2)

We've all followed the journey of Flopsy, also know as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home thanks to her Foster Mom, Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors. (To read Rusty's journey from a pauper to a princess written by her Foster Mom click here.) Rusty started the next chapter of her life in January 2008 when she was adopted by her Forever Mom, Sheryl. Not only did Rusty get her chance at "happily ever after" she also got a new name! Rusty is now known as Maisie and lives with her brothers Murry and Micha. Maisie's story continues thanks to updates from her Forever Mom. (To read previous updates click here.)

1/27/08 - Progress report from Sheryl!

Some of her big accomplishments are:

    • Instead of running away when it's treat time and making me put the treat down and step away, she actually comes right up to me to get it!
    • She is providing endless entertainment for the kitty as I keep a very lightweight leash on her in the house and the kitty chases it and carries it in his mouth as she moves about.
    • This morning when it was time to go out she came to the back door and waited while I put Murry's coat on and then I put hers on - usually I have to track her down for this.
    • Going in and out the door is now relatively easy - she probably does it on her own about 8 out of 10 times.
    • She is staying in whatever room we're in without me having to attach the leash to something.

    • And, I think this is a big one, last evening my friends Bob and Laurel came over and Maisie was on her big cushion in the living room (the one she's on in Susan's pictures) when they knocked. I answered the door, we said hello's they came in, etc and she did not leave the cushion or the room - we went upstairs to look at some furniture and then back down to sit in the living room and she still did not leave the room! I had asked them not to look at her or pay her any attention and it seemed to be OK with her to have these strangers here.
She is very funny when poor Murry is outside trying to poop, she puts her nose right up under him - today he lost his balance - he doesn't seem to mind whatever she does.

It's snowing here today and she does love it - runs around and looks very happy - I see her and Murry showing a bit more interest in each other - very small signs, but all in the right direction. When they are in the yard alone, they tend to interact more than when I'm out there with them - I can see this when I let them out in the back yard and watch through the window.


She's a great little princess - she has such a girly walk - really just prances about and I think she likes all of us and is content here - I think at the end of the year we'll have a sociable gal who'll be comfortable with strangers. Susan gave me a book about helping shy dogs and it has some great suggestions.


To Be Continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!