Thursday, January 17, 2019

Col. Potter Training Tip: Rescue Kit


Rescue Kit

by Janeen Sharpe

How many of you carry your own rescue kit in your cars? I do. My sister started me on it many years ago. I’ve not really had to use it, but I nearly did earlier this month. I was driving on a busy road when I saw a stray dog cross the street. Luckily, drivers in many other cars saw her too. As a matter of fact, four cars pulled off the road and the drivers tried to capture the stray. It was a wonderful sight.

I always carry a first aid kit in my car, along with blankets, collapsible water bowl, and a leash. That day I did not need to use any of it, because one of the other drivers rescued the stray and was able to give her to her owner. But the situation made me think. This stray had a collar, was easy to grab, and was friendly; but other strays aren’t always captured that easily. Was I prepared to help?

I found some suggestions to be better prepared. Now I keep these items in my car:

        a phone to look up emergency vet clinics if needed
        a cardboard box to serve as a cat carrier
        a strong leash for dogs, preferably a slip leash that can also serve as a collar
        blankets, gloves, water bowls, and of course water
        some “smelly” pet food, like canned tuna or dried liver treats
        an easily accessible animal first-aid kit

When you see an animal running loose, keep in mind the safety of the dog, your own safety and the safety of others. Then proceed with caution. A frightened or injured animal is unpredictable. If you succeed in getting close enough to capture a stray, there is a chance of being scratched or bitten, so those blankets or heavy gloves may help you protect yourself.

Or, perhaps all you can do is sit safely in your car and call animal control to help.

If you decide it’s safe to move towards an animal, speak calmly and try enticing them to come to you with food. In one case, I opened my car’s back door and called to an escaped dog. He came running and jumped into my car! He was then inside and I was safely outside. The rescue group -- who he had just escaped from -- was very grateful for his quick capture.

Another time, a very loving small pup who had escaped his home was in a dangerous situation near a busy intersection. A neighbor easily captured him and brought him to me. I had my ex-pen set up and he spent the night here. In the morning, I called the city to see if we could identify the owner from his dog tags. We could. And it turns out that this wasn’t his first time escaping from his backyard.

My most unforgettable memory is of a day on a Detroit expressway. The traffic was very heavy, and a pitbull was strolling along the inside median. Much to my regret, it was too dangerous to stop because I would have caused an accident. I have never forgotten him.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!