Saturday, June 7, 2008

From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog (Entry 14)

Karen, one of CPCRN's foster mentors, has graciously allowed us access to her diary documenting the journey of Flopsy, also known as Rusty, from the puppy mill to her forever home. The diary will be broken up into short sections and posted. Check back for new entries in the series entitled "From A Pauper To A Princess - The Journey of a Puppy Mill Dog". (Previous Journal Entries: Entry One, Two, Three, Four, Five, Six, Seven, Eight, Nine, Ten, Eleven, Twelve, Thirteen)

9/28/07
We had our second class last night with Flopsy/Rusty and Starry Night. Our lessons were to go down, drop it, and loose leash walking. Rusty did quite well walking around the store. She only had problems when we encountered other people, then she would try to flee or hide behind me. When I felt she had enough, we went back to the training room and I practiced her looking at me. She was looking at me much longer this time, and of course we have been practicing all week. Another employee saw us and came into the room. I explained Rusty's situation and asked her to give Rusty a treat. Rusty took it from her and even moved her nose back to her hand and licked her fingers. We did this twice.


When everyone returned to the room, we began our other lessons. Rusty is just much too concerned with everything going on around her to attempt any of the lessons. We try, but she just doesn't understand. She did seem much more relaxed while she was in the room, so maybe in a few more weeks, her anxiety level will lower even more. She did ace the "leave it or drop it" lesson! Rusty wouldn't even touch the chicken rawhide!! We were told to give it to them and give the command "drop it" and while doing so, have the exchange treat at their nose, so they can drop it and take the treat. I don't think we have to worry about her picking up things she isn't supposed to pick up!!

Also this week, I spent 3 evenings hand stripping all of her dead hair off of her. She was such a trooper!! I have attempted to do little bits of grooming here and there, but never a total body stripping. I figured she's been here long enough to be able to handle it now. It's hard to get used to her without all of that hair, she looks so tiny. She has such a wonderful Cairn coat, though.

10/11/07
It's been a while since I've written, but that doesn't mean Rusty hasn't progressed. We just completed our fourth class at PetSmart. Rusty continues to make slow, but positive progress. The same employee has been giving her treats every week we have class. This time, Rusty did not hesitate to take the treat from her. We were so excited! Rusty walked around the store with foster dad really nicely.

One thing we noticed Rusty do when we were in the truck last night, is she stretched her seat belt far enough that she was able to put her front paws on the console between us! She stood there like she has done this all of her life, and just looked straight ahead out of the windshield, like a "normal" dog.

Earlier this week, we noticed a red, inflamed spot on the top of her foot, between her toes. Rusty is the best dog ever at the vet's office. Dr. Perry wanted to open the spot and see if he could find something inside it. We came up empty. He said that in all likelihood, it had already worked its way out. They bandaged up her foot and it looked like a club! We removed the bandage this morning and it looks like it is healing well.


11/12/07
Tonight, I spoke with Sheryl, who is interested in adopting Rusty. Wow, what a lady!! She is a true blessing for my little girl. She is just what I have been praying for, in a forever home. I have given my blessings for this adoption to proceed. Sheryl is planning on flying from Boston to Arizona to pick her up.

Of course, now the tears have come. It is such a bittersweet time for me. On one hand, I am thrilled that Rusty's journey is almost complete, but on the other, I am sad she will be leaving. I had hoped she would be living closer to us, but it is a small sacrifice to make for her happiness. In spite of her shyness, she has been such a wonderful girl to foster. I love her so much, but I know that it is my time to step aside and let her go.


To Be Continued ...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!