Thursday, January 31, 2019

Col. Potter Training Tip: The power of yes

by Dawn F.

No, no, NO! Don’t do that!!

Can you imagine hearing that, day after day, year after year? And yet so many dogs have to listen to "NO!" for their entire lives. Or, after a couple of years of it, an owner finally says they’ve had enough of the “bad dog” and surrenders him to an animal shelter.

In a nutshell, that’s what happened to my newest foster, Bonacci. This 4-year-old lovebug ended up in a shelter, frightened and confused. And very poorly trained.

The owner told the shelter that Bonacci was a “bad dog.” He wasn’t housetrained, and he chewed “everything,” they said. He “breaks chains” and he pulled on the leash when they tried to walk him. And when he “misbehaved,” instead of showing him the correct behavior, the family banished him to the outdoors or to his crate.

I will admit that I was hesitant to foster a dog who was so out of control. But I quickly discovered that he wanted desperately to please me. He only needed to hear “yes!”

Yes, Bonacci, you can go outside to play and poop and pee. Yes, you are a good boy for doing your business outside. You are so good, here’s a treat! And yes, you can come back in any time you want. Even if it is just 20 seconds since you went out.

Yes, little man, you can chew. Here’s a chewie just for you. Or do you like this chew toy? Yes, you can have both.

Yes, Bonacci, you can chew on that little raccoon toy as much as you want!

Yes, you can stay by my side. Yes, you can sleep on my lap. Yes, we will keep the crate door open so you can come and go as you please. Yes, we will do all this while you learn that you can trust the humans who love you.

You are afraid of being locked behind a pet gate, even for a moment? Yes, I'll be back in a couple of minutes, and here's a treat to show you that this isn't punishment.

I am happy to report that this "bad boy" hasn’t had an accident in the house, except during his first hour in my home. He is so happy to hear “yes!” when he pees outside. He chewed a hole in one dog bed, but now he knows where the stash of chewies is kept and, yes, he can have one whenever I’m around to monitor him. 

Yes, Bonacci is a good dog! He needed to know what he should do, instead of what he shouldn’t do. It speaks to his character that he can respond so readily to positive reinforcement, after years of inappropriate punishment. I am looking forward to seeing how much we can accomplish with positive training techniques, to prepare him for life with his future forever family.

I hope he never has to hear “NO!” again.

1 comment:

  1. you are wonderful and I am sure he knows it. All of my pets have been rescues so much love in them.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!