Thursday, January 24, 2019

Col. Potter Training Tip: Grieve, then love again

by Dawn F.

This has been a difficult winter for me. Regular blog readers know that my Westie pup, Peaches, had a severe heart defect that put her at risk for sudden death. She met that fate in late November, just a few days after I had her Christmas portrait taken.

Peaches posed beautifully for her holiday portrait.  


Peaches died without pain. It happened exactly as the cardiologist told me it would. The little girl just laid quietly on her side… and then she was gone. The world -- my world -- lost a small but wonderful source of joy.

A few weeks after that numbing loss, a dear friend was diagnosed with advanced cancer. By the time the doctors found it, the urothelial cancer had spread to my friend’s kidney, bones, and brain. I am my friend’s caregiver, and -- as thousands of people discover every day -- cancer’s rampage can be more devastating than I ever imagined.

My sadness seemed to be a permanent fixture.

Then, this week, Col. Potter Cairn Rescue Network called and told me of a 4-year-old cairn mix who they rescued from a shelter, where his owner had given him up. CPCRN needed a foster home. It wasn't going to be an easy foster. The former owner never trained the pup, they just banished him outdoors whenever he misbehaved. But as I learned more about him, and as I thought more about it, I could feel the gloom lifting from my life.

The plan is to transport the pup to my home on Saturday. He will be bewildered and may shut down as he experiences more upheaval, so I will give him his own room apart from my collie crew (who will want to welcome our new guest, but will have to wait!). I’ll give him time to adjust and let him show me when he is ready to start his new life. Then, together, this pup and I will re-discover life’s little joys, with lots of praise and treats for every step forward. And lots of unconditional love when a step back is necessary.

So, what is my training tip for today? It is for you, dear reader. When you experience loss, take time to grieve. As much time as you need. When you are ready, accept a new challenge, a new chance to make a difference. Fostering or adopting a rescued pup can fill that hole in your heart.

10 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Dawn. Thank you for your generosity toward all things living. I hope you quickly find for yourself the peace and joy that you bring to so many others.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing Dawn. We who have loved and lost both human and canine can identify with you. When I lost hubby and then lost our cairn Moses, it was CP that brought light back into my life.Rocket Man was the original little light bearer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Still grieving the loss of my Westie a little over a year ago.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I lost my westie a few days after Christmas. She had bladder cancer. My heart aches but reading your post reminds me that I can love another pup after loss. Thank you Dawn.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, thank you for being such a good mom to Peaches. thank you for taking care of a fellow human. This little guy came in to your life for a reason and you came in to his for a reason. Be open to that. I send you peace and light.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely story. I'm sure Peaches knew she was very loved. Thanks for taking on this new little rescue. I know there will be much love there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have always said that when one of my dogs have died, they took a piece of my heart with them. When a new dog comes into my life, I receive a very small piece of their heart. This piece takes root and becomes a part of my heart. And, the cycle continues.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sorry for your loss, Dawn. What a lovely tribute to both your human friend and your furry friend. Don't stop doing 'good' for human, as well as, canine friends. It's helps heal the heart and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Peaches was blessed to share your heart and home, as you were blessed by her time in your life.. can feel the love and loss in your words. You have found a pathway from the sea of grief; to help your friend and to help a foster. You are a blessing to others, someone that truly makes a difference. Wishing serenity and joy in your every day.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to share your thoughts and stories with us!